OPTIDISC® ELITE CUTTERBAR
The Optidisc® Cutterbar: A Clean and Consistent Cut
Lubed-For-Life Optidisc® Cutterbar
The Optidisc® cutterbar provides a flat, streamlined profile so that soil and crop residue do not accumulate and material flows smoothly, even in heavy, difficult crop conditions. Optidisc cutterbars are designed and tested with a zero oil change interval. The highly-polished gears and synthetic gear oil ensure that this system does not require any regular internal maintenance, eliminating the need for cutterbar oil changes throughout the life of the machine.
Differential Disc Spacing
The innovative design of the Optidisc® cutterbar offers exclusive differential disc spacing.
1. Less Distance for a Clean Cut
Narrower spacing at diverging discs provides greater knife overlap, which results in a clean cut, even when the grass is short or light.
2. More Distance for Easy Crop Passage
Wider spacing at converging discs provides more space for the crop to pass. Cut crop is quickly carried away from the cutting area, greatly improving the cut quality.
Standard Fast-Fit® Knives
The Fast-Fit® quick-release knife system allows an operator to rapidly change out cutting knives with the use of a simple tool, yet still retain optimum cut quality and knife life. With Fast-Fit, an operator can achieve up to 50% time savings over a standard system.
Protectadrive® Disc Bearing Stations
- Protectadrive® Safety: Every minute saved during the hay season is precious. Ultimate protection, from the externally removable Protectadrive disc bearing stations, provides maximum reliability and quick service. In the event of an impact between a disc and an obstacle, the shaft holding the disc can shear just above the bearing. This is thanks to its carefully dimensioned shear groove. As a result, the gear teeth are protected.
- Extra Rigidity Where it Counts: Disc bearing stations are attached by bolts that pass through the entire cutterbar. This is an exceptionally strong and secure attachment with no risk of mount being torn out of the cutterbar in case of shocks. The disc drive pinion is held precisely in place, all resulting in excellent reliability and reduced maintenance costs.
- Gear-to-Gear Power Transmission: Gear-to-gear power transmission, a staple of all KUHN disc mowers, allows for maximum power to be transferred through all gears in the cutterbar. Unlike other gear cutterbars, equal sized gears throughout reduces torque on the gear teeth and leads to unsurpassed reliability and longevity.
The Key to the System: Kinetics
The Lift-Control device is much more than just a suspension system with a nitrogen accumulator replacing the traditional spring. The principal advantage of this system is derived from the exclusive way in which the kinetic forces that act on the cutterbar are utilized.
KUHN engineers have succeeded in making a dynamic suspension system as opposed to the passive system commonly used. With the Lift-Control system, as the force exerted on the cutterbar increases, the suspension system automatically lightens the cutterbar. The greater the force, the lighter the cutterbar.
- Constant ground pressure
- Non-stop safety breakaway
- Excellent terrain following
- Less soil in the crop
- Minimize torn up turf
Additionally on the GMD 4011 and 4411, a hydropneumatic suspension system is installed to absorb bumps and jolts during transport, providing more stability for improved control.
Active Non-Stop Breakaway
No one can afford to damage their mower during the peak hay season because of a forgotten or unnoticed obstacle. The mowing head will pivot up to 25° to the rear. At the same time, the mowing head will lift to clear the obstruction and then automatically reset to the original mowing position. There is no need to stop and reverse to reset the mower.
A suspension system’s performance is compromised if the weight distribution across the ground is not uniform. With the Lift-Control® range, the mowing head is suspended at the center of gravity point to ensure even weight distribution and a high-quality cut across the entire width.
DESIGNED WITH YOU IN MIND
Control with Confidence
Control of the mowing head is easy and precise. The hydraulic requirements have been minimized to reduce reaction times and a single hydraulic valve is all that is required to raise and lower the mowing head. The minimum lift clearance of 16" easily clears obstructions and already cut crop.
Safety During Transport
When folded for transport the cutting head is centered directly behind the tractor. This facilitates greater ease when engaged in road transport. Twin mechanical locks fix the cutting head when in transport to securely hold the head in position. It's important to ballast the tractor correctly for safety when in transport.
Cleverly Designed Frame
To attach the mower to the tractor, there is no need to change the length of the tractor linkage arms in order to balance the mower weight. Moreover, when unfolding it to working position, the cutting height is automatically set at 1.8” to 2” without needing to adjust the top link.
With an offset of 7.5”, GMD 11 Series mowers can better adapt to tractors equipped with large tires, in order to optimize maximum cutting width.